Saturday, February 19, 2011

You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart...

It was nearly five years ago that I had the amazing experience of seeing Wicked on its first national tour in Atlanta! I remember everything about that day but what I remember most was the feeling I had after leaving the show. 

Since that day I vowed that no matter what it took I was going to see it in all its New York City glory on Broadway IN Gershwin Theatre! Despite many trips to NYC after that show I just couldn't get tickets. Whether that be because of time constraints, shows being sold out or the sheer fact that I was poor as dirt. 

I decided that I was going to try for the Wicked lottery and pray I was one of the lucky 13 names called for $27 front row seats! After three attempts and nearly freezing my rear end off I got a text message from Vicki's mom. She knew how much we wanted to see the show and made my wish come true by getting us fabulous seats to Friday nights show!! I couldn't believe it! Vicki and I each fronted $60 and Andrea gave us the present of paying the difference for our great seats. I'm still so so incredibly grateful!!

Vicki and I got all dolled up for our Broadway outing. We treated ourselves to candy and I even bought a Wicked shirt. I'm pretty sure my mouth was hanging open the entire time we walked through the theatre until we sat down in our seats. 

The show started and it was pure bliss. Even better than I remembered! Yes, I mouthed the words to each and every song...I just couldn't help myself. I got teary eyed on multiple occasions and I jumped up to give a standing ovation at the end. I don't really know what it is about this show that pulls at my heartstrings so much. Maybe it's the friendship storyline or the romance...or the unbelievable vocals. I don't know but I can say it will forever be one of my absolute favorites. 

Seeing the show in Atlanta was great but seeing it in the original Wicked Theatre was truly an unbelievable experience. I'm so thankful to have had the opportunity to see this before I leave. I will never forget it! Thank you SO much Andrea for making my dream come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment